Sunday, March 26, 2006

The Golden Path

I had just begun on my journey on that well-paved and singlular path; a ribbon of unmarred gold that travelled up and over the rise, the sun dipping down just beyond the top, which sent ripples cascading down the length of the road.

With each step I became surer of my destination, but even as I looked back the faint footprints I left were disappearing, and the further back the more indistinct they became. Nonetheless, I surefootedly hiked towards the top of that rise, and the ache in my legs and back grew steadily.

And with the last few steps the sun appeared once again, and shone directly into my eyes, but when I recovered I dropped to my knees, dumbstruck by what I saw. Rivers of gold flooded my vision, for descending into that valley was the Golden Path I was on, splitting infinitely into hundredfold, a thousandfold and more. In the distance was no more than a sea of shimmering gold that could only be the infinite permutations of that way, and all lay beneath that sun which fed the land.

And again I was dumbstruck, because I had believed that the rise was my destination and my end, and had not thought beyond it. But I had hardly begun; my path lay among that infinite number, and it was infinite and shining, no matter which way I went.

2 comments:

ChickyBabe said...

First, this is beautifully written.

It tells me that no matter how certain we may be of our path, something can come our way and challenge it. Sometimes these changes are welcome, other times the fear of the unknown and the unfamiliar can be overwhelming. One thing I know for certain, these moments don’t come often in life.

I hope your chosen path is the one that gives you what you seek.

Fatma said...

Beautiful.

Life is a journey. A journey where you have to make choices when you reach crossroads. You wouldn't know what lays beyond the path you're treading on and that's life too. And proceeding without faltering inspite of this unknowness is the challenge of everybody's life.

Fitèna